It is also called the “ear therapy”, uses techniques like electrical stimulation, acupuncture, and acupressure on the external ear to relieve a number of psychological problems and physical ailments all over the body. Whether on its own or in conjunction with the whole-body acupuncture, can help ease psycho behavioral problems like anxiety, depression, or stuttering, and medical ailments such as gout, asthma, and gastrointestinal disorder.
How does it work?
Different points on the outer ear correspond with specific organs and body functions, and stimulating those points access the central nervous system to get to problem spots. In a typical session, a mechanical probe is used to determine the “problem” points on your ear, which are then stimulated manually or with needles or an electrical instrument.
Can you show the connection from points to organs and body functions?
Here are some examples:
1. By squeezing your antihelix (the middle ridge) section of the ear can help you to get relief from tension headaches.
2. The lower lobe of the ear is associated with the head and neck.
3. The helix, which is the curved rim that stands out, is related to the circulatory system and the flow of energy in the body.
4. The antihelix, which is just beneath the helix, is associated with the spine, arms, and legs.
5. The inside and sidewalls of the cavum, which is near the front of the ear, correspond to the internal organs.
6. The crescent-shaped crus of the helix can bolster the digestive system.
If you are new to acupuncture and a bit nervous about the needles, this is an excellent way to try it out! The ear treatment doesn’t hurt though you may feel some light pressure.